Wednesday 3 October 2012

Playing Favourites: My Favourite Memory

I love old movies. Roman Holiday is my favourite because the old-fashioned storyline gets me everytime and because when you watch the movie, you understand why Audrey Hepburn was born to be a star and why Gregory Peck is the ultimate gentleman. 

Yesterday, I watched The Sound of Music again (I can memorize the lyrics to almost all the songs in the movie) and inspired by Maria and her favourite things, I shall blog about one of my favourite things weekly for the month of October. Here's my first entry!

My Favourite Memory
When I was 22, my husband or boyfriend at that time brought me to Europe. It was the first time I ever travelled out of Asia and it was on this trip that I found one of the greatest loves of my life, travelling.

We were still in the beginning of our trip, at Santorini in Greece and were strolling around on our first afternoon on the island. I can't remember if we decided to follow a crowd but we soon found some people waiting by the water for the sunset. This was apparently touted to be the best sunset watching spot and everyone was eagerly waiting, camera in hand.

We could have waited there with the rest but knowing us, we snuck off onto somebody's rooftop and there in our own private space (or rather someone else's private space), I saw the most breathtaking sunset I ever saw in my life.

The magical moment
As the sun slowly dipped into the horizon of the sea, the waters became really still. For a moment, I could almost believe that I would be able to walk over the water on my tippy toes and touch the sun with my finger. It was that still and it was our magic moment. For when that moment passed, I knew that it was so special and that I would never be able to capture that again. I actually told myself to remember this moment and to remember how we felt, watching this magnificent sunset together. I also secretly thought that if we ended up together we would go looking for the best spots in the world for sunsets as magical as this one. We ended up together alright but we never went sunset hunting.  :)

I am not sure why the water went all still during the sunset, probably an optical illusion? But it seemed to me like it was holding its breath waiting for the sun to touch it. And that, is my all-time favourite memory, our first time to Europe together, our first sunset and the most beautiful moment of our entire holiday.




No comments:

Post a Comment