Wednesday 10 October 2012

Playing Favourites: My Favourite Song

I thought for awhile before deciding what I was going to talk about next. My Favourite Memory came as an easy first choice since I often think back about that day, especially when I see sunsets. So, I thought of My Favourite Food. That sounds easy enough, everyone knows I am a foodie. However everyone also knows I love fried chicken. So, not much of a revelation there. I didn't really have a favourite drink and neither do I have a favourite dessert. Hmmm 

While organizing some CDs during the weekend, the idea came to do My Favourite Song. In fact I love this song so much, its a no brainer that this is my all-time favourite. I never tire of listening to it and I never tire of humming it. So spit it out, what is my favourite song you say? Its La Vie En Rose, the Louis Armstrong version. I've always loved Louis' gravelly voice. It's perfect for jazz and love songs and it makes me think of a time when men were gentlemen and women were ladies. Romance was a journey you took towards wooing the partner of your dreams and love was alot less complicated.

I first heard La Vie En Rose while watching Love Me If You Dare with a classmate when I was about 17 or 18. I was mesmerised by the tune and immediately declared in the theatre "I think I just found my wedding song!" Over the years, my taste in music fluctuated from wanting to be oh so cool alternative, angsty rock and mindless pop but I never forgot my first musical love, jazz and blues and of course, La Vie En Rose. 

I know this song is synonymous with Edith Piaf and I love Edith too. Who can forget her dramatic performance in Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien? It always brings tears to my eyes when I watch her belt out the last verses.

However, I prefer the slower tempo and gentler swing of Louis Armstrong's take. I also really like how the song first starts off with the trumpet, that really lets me soak in the music before the lyrics come in. 

So, click on the video for my favourite romantic lullaby, La Vie En Rose. Waltz along to the tune and keep the romance alive!

No comments:

Post a Comment