Wednesday 3 October 2012

Cured Salmon



I have tried making my own cured salmon on two occasions before. The first time I used an Asian inspired recipe of soya sauce and spring onions. It didn't work out too well, the salmon was much too salty and the sauce only served to hide the flavour of the fish. The second time, I stuck to the traditional Gravlax recipe of sugar, salt and dill. It turned out great but I learnt that I was not a fan of dill.

I then abandoned my efforts till I came across this recipe from Martha Stewart. I tried making it yesterday and since the salmon is still curing, I don't have any photos of the finished product yet but that will be coming up real soon!

* Martha's recipe calls for lemon, orange and lime zest. I didn't have orange and lime at home so I used lemon and calamansi zest from my calamansi plant instead. The salt/sugar rub ended up smelling pretty good so I assume it went well. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment