Friday 19 October 2012

Nippon Fever: Hokkaido Cakes

I love Japanese food and in several aspects, the Japanese culture as well. Nevermind that J-Fever has come and gone and K-fever, Face Shop and Gangnam style has invaded our shores. I still cling to Nippon Land for a ton of great holiday memories and greater food. 

View from our room at the Ryokan in Otaru-chikko (2008)

So, in tribute to the land of complicated origami pieces that I constantly YouTube about but never quite accomplish, I baked Hokkaido Cakes yesterday. It's fairly simple to make, I think once you have tried the Japanese Cotton Cheesecake or any Chiffon Cake, this one is nothing to sweat about.

Still, I was fairly nervous about whipping the cream. In the past, whipping cream has been a hit and miss  for me. Tragic thing is once over-whipped, the cream separates and you get a clumpy mess that you want to fling against the wall. This time, I refrigerated my mixing bowl and whisk beforehand and went about it in a calm and collected manner. I think calm and collected was the key for me, not so much the refrigeration. I just needed STOP worrying so that I will not suddenly sprout ten meddlesome thumbs. Anyway it turned out perfect, I did not panic unnecessarily and under-whip, or over-whip. It was just right.

Phew! That was alot of whining about cream. Anyway, Tada! Hokkaido Cakes!


1 comment:

  1. looks yumms! does it have lots of butter? very light and fluffy it looks! Charm.

    ReplyDelete