Tuesday 18 September 2012

An Old Favourite

Hel-lo Chawanmushi!
Do you like eggs? I LOVE EGGS! When I was 16, I wrote an essay in school about how much I love eating eggs. I also once gave a 10 minute speech in class about how much I love eating instant noodles....but that is another story for another day.

Eggs, fried, poached, scrambled, steamed, half-boiled, hard-boiled, tossed with fried rice, all mushy in a good bowl of instant noodles.....yes I go eggy for them eggs!

Unfortunately, as age catches up, so does one's cholesterol level. So, with much reluctance, I have gradually cut down my intake of eggs. I know I could just eat the whites and skip all the bad cholesterol but what's the point? The yolk is the best part! 

On Monday, after a particularly tense afternoon, I decided that the only way to revitalize my sagging spirits was to make some familiar comfort food. I have quite a list of comfort foods but something told me that it was time to start cracking those eggs and make Chawanmushi!

I've made Chawanmushi many times and it never fails to induce happiness in both my husband and I as we spoon the eggy goodness in our mouths. Of course, the key to good Chawanmushi is that it must be savoury, silky and smooth. Most people add chicken slices or fishcake in theirs but I like mine plain. Normally I get too lazy to type out recipes but I shall make an exception and share this one!

I had to tear myself away from devouring my
Chawanmushi to take this photo
Chawanmushi Recipe
Makes 3-4 servings

- 3 eggs
- 1 can of chicken stock (You can omit this  for 300ml of water but try not to!)
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 tablespoon light soya sauce

1. Crack 3 eggs in a large bowl and stir gently with a fork to mix them all up

2. Pour stock into egg mixture and add the mirin and soya sauce

3. Again, very gently, mix the entire thing up, the aim is to create as little bubbles as possible so that your Chawanmushi will be smooth.

4. Sieve mixture into Chawanmushi cups, discard all the globby bits that will not go through your sieve.

5. Cover cups with or if your cups don't come with covers, use aluminium foil

6. Steam for about 10mins and voila! Jelly, silky smooth Chawanmushi!

3 comments:

  1. must try this one day! I make the 3 egg steamed egg thing - with century egg, salted egg and steamed regular egg - v addictive and I can gobble up a large bowl all on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Share your recipe! I hate century eggs coz they smell so funky but I don't mind trying it with the other two eggs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used this one I found: http://www.atablefortwo.com.au/2009/03/23/three-emperor-egg-%E4%B8%89%E7%9A%87%E8%9B%8B/

    try! x.

    ReplyDelete